W.A. Fite

W.A. Fite
Courtesy James Villa Photography 2012

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ZOO Creature


At the ZOO I scavenged for an impression of anything other than the backside of a macaw. Every animal dismissed me at it's leisure, with a recklessness only a caged creature could afford.

Were the large faux rocks and electrified fence tops protecting me or them? Both surfaces lend themselves to fear through conditioning; the rocks with their slip slide slopes and the electricity with it's whirling pulse. Wild is only wild if it acts as such, and these beasts were not much for acting; rather sleeping, picking, or eating.

Only one time was an impression of force made upon me as an elephant recounted his displeasure at the lack of clean dirt beneath his feet. His blast was so deafening that the ground rumbled as the bark shook free of it's parent. It was in that moment where I truly realized the presence of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment